Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy is committed to minimizing its impacts on the environment, getting a more sustainable approach and inspiring others to take action.
This policy applies to all staff members of our small company and it will be brought to the attention of both our suppliers and visitors. Our Sustainability Coordinator, Sandra Suriano, is responsible for implementing the company’s sustainability policy.
Sustainability management & legal compliance
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy leadership is wholly committed to the company’s sustainability performance and endorses the company’s sustainability mission statement and policy.
We will use the Travelife platform to report on our sustainability progress and to monitor and evaluate progress. We are committed to (publicly) communicating our sustainability performance (by means of the Travelife report) every two years.
Sustainability management & legal compliance
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy commits to continuous improvement of sustainability practices, including the ongoing monitoring and evaluation of our sustainability policy, with dedicated personnel and resources to achieve our sustainability goals.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy follows all local, regional, national, and international regulations as they relate to human resources, human rights, children’s rights, land rights, environmental management, wildlife, and land use. We follow a strict Code of Ethics, including a zero-tolerance policy for corruption, bribery, forced labor, and discrimination.
Internal management: social policy & human rights
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy supports both career-related and job-related professional development activities.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy is committed to the principle of fair and equal pay for like work and for work of equal value for all its employees, and contractors, regardless of gender/sex, race, national origin, marital status, age, religion.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy is committed to fostering a safe, healthy, and inclusive work place/work culture where all employees are able to perform their duties/to recognise their potential.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy is committed to a zero-tolerance policy for acts of bribery, corruption, discrimination, and violation of human rights, including forced labour, human trafficking, and all rights of children.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy further expects this commitment from all partners and suppliers in the future.
Internal management: environment
Environmental management of office operations
We are committed to keeping the direct footprint of our business operations as minimal as possible and actively follow [circularity/the 5Rs (refuse, reduce, reuse, repurpose, recycle)/sustainability/environmentally- sound principles. We have the following measures in place:
- Follow all local and national regulations concerning environmental law
- Measure, monitor, and evaluate use of all commodities and products purchased, especially in terms of water, waste, energy, and carbon
- Procure office supply. locally, seasonally, fair trade, in bulk, with limited packaging, sustainability certified whenever possible
- Print only when absolutely necessary, and when printing, always print double-sided on grayscale.
- Energy saving measures are in place in our office
- All equipment and lighting is energy-efficient and turned off/unplugged/on sleep mode when not in use
- Waste is separated into the following categories: [plastic, organic, paper products, metal, hazardous, glass, e-waste, waste to landfill] and is disposed of properly by [a private company / municipality]
- Noise, light, and air pollution is minimised
Carbon management of office operations
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy is committed to reducing our carbon footprint and endeavours to reduce the amount we travel as much as possible by:
- Reduce the amount we travel as much as possible
- Monitoring and measuremeasuring carbon footprint with the aim to reduce as much as possible and offset remaining amounts.
- Encouraging remote work whenever possible, and when it is not possible, making it easier for employees to limit their carbon footprint by use of eco modes of transportation.
- We commit to offsetting our remaining direct and indirect carbon from travel and fossil energy use via [carbon offset company].
- Installing energy efficient equipment and appliances [where appropriate/possible]
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy office is located in a urban area and abides by all local land use laws, respects local cultural and natural resources in our business operations, and favours sustainable architecture and design.
General suppliers policy
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy is committed to sourcing its products and services responsibly, avoiding harmful impacts on society, culture and nature as much as possible. We expect the same level of engagement and commitment from our suppliers.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy prefers to work with partners that share the company’s commitment towards sustainability. This means that we prefer partners that have a written sustainability statement as an integral part of their business policy and/or a clear sustainability policy in place.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy prefers to work with suppliers in the destinations that are locally owned or managed, use local and seasonal products and services and benefit the local community by hiring locally and equitably and by providing fair working conditions.
Whenever possible, Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy prefers to select partner companies that comply with tourism- specific, internationally recognized (GSTC-accredited) certifications, or other sustainability certifications like B Corp or ISO.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy expects its suppliers to adhere to a [Code of Conduct/Code of Ethics], that includes the following responsible business practices:
- Complying with all local, regional, national and international regulations
- Respecting all human rights including labour rights, children’s rights, and women’s rights
- Committing to fair employment conditions
- Following anti-corruption, anti-bribery, anti-extortion, and anti-discrimination policies
- Protecting children from (sexual) exploitation through tourism
- Protecting the environment and natural resources
- Acting in the best interest of local communities
- Protecting the interests of Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy
Our complete supplier [Code of Conduct/Code of Ethics] is available here: www.ferulaviaggi.it
Following a zero-tolerance policy, Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy will immediately terminate any relationships with suppliers that violate [our policies/the [Code of Conduct/Code of Ethics], specifically through acts of bribery, corruption, discrimination, and violation of human rights.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy raises awareness amongst its suppliers to adopt sound social and environmental practices, and to minimise their carbon footprint.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy actively collaborates with suppliers to improve their sustainability performance.
We encourage our suppliers to continuously learn about sustainability and provide/support this learning whenever possible.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy maintains open lines of communication with our suppliers and partners and encourage feedback from our stakeholders at any time and on any topic, particularly sustainability.
Inbound partner agencies
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy only works with partner agencies that adhere to the company’s [Code of Conduct/Code of Ethics].
In the entire process of developing and operating our travel packages, Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy expects partner agencies to act in the best interests of the surrounding communities and environment as well as our guests.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy provides partner agencies opportunities for sustainability learning and management, including free access to the Travelife online learning and reporting platform.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy only works with transport providers that adhere to the company’s [Code of Conduct/Code of Ethics].
When selecting transport for guests and business related travel, Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy commits to choosing the most environmentally friendly options available for travelling to, from, and within the destination – taking into consideration distance, price, route, and comfort.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy promotes and offers to visitors cycling tours, our main activity.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy only works with accommodations that adhere to the company’s [Code of Conduct/Code of Ethics].
In the accommodation selection process, Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy considers the sustainability practices of an accommodation by taking into account their sustainability management and social and environmental footprint.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy favours the selection of accommodations that respect and protect land use, as well as respectfully highlight elements of local architecture, customs and traditions
Activities & Excursions
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy only works with excursion providers that adhere to the company’s [Code of Conduct/Code of Ethics].
All excursions and activities run by or on behalf of Ferula Viaggi respect local customs, traditions, cultural integrity, and natural resources.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy commits to not offering any excursions that harm humans, wildlife, environment, or natural resources such as water and energy.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy gives preference to excursions and activities that benefit local communities, respect animal welfare and support environmental protection.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy has clear guidelines/Codes of Conduct in place for environmentally and culturally sensitive excursions offered by or on behalf of the company. These guidelines are actively communicated to guests as well as distributed and implemented by excursion providers and guides.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy provides excursion and attraction providers opportunities for sustainability learning and management, including free access to the Travelife online learning and reporting platform.
Tour leaders, local representatives, and guides
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy commits to hiring qualified local guides, porters, drivers or other local staff, paying them living wages and providing safe and fair working conditions. We expect the same from our suppliers that are hiring local staff on behalf of Ferula Viaggi.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy understands that guides are the intermediaries between the guests and the socio- cultural and environmental context of the destination, conveying the appropriate behaviour to them. Therefore, we make sure that all guides hired by or leading tours on behalf of Ferula Viaggi are trained regularly and knowledgeable in the sustainability topics of the destination.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy provides guides with learning opportunities on sustainability topics including providing free access to the Travelife online learning platform.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy prefers to work in destinations that have committed to sustainability as an integral part of community and destination development.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy aims to send visitors to secondary or lesser-known tourist areas to avoid overtourism.
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy does not support destinations that have a questionable human rights track record.
Contribution to local communities / local economic network
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy commits to positive contribution to the destinations in which we operate, by:
- Sourcing locally and responsibly, and supporting local and traditional arts and culture
- Encouraging guests to shop responsibly and educating them about illegal/prohibited/forbidden souvenirs
- Collaborating with other local tourism stakeholders [including local government, other tourism businesses, academia, community groups] to further the sustainable tourism development of the destination
- Respecting and advocating for all human rights (i.e. children’s rights, women’s rights, labour rights, etc.) as well as land rights
Environmental stewardship in destinations
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy commits to environmental stewardship in the destinations in which we operate by:
- Ensuring natural resources remain intact
- Educating guests about the principles of responsible travel and responsible visitor behaviour
Customer communication and protection
- Legal compliance in all regards
- Customers and their data are protected
- Customers know how their information is being used
Marketing and communication
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy strives to be truthful in all situations and at all times. We offer products and services that do what we claim in our communications. We honour our explicit and implicit commitments and promises. We are anti-greenwashing and stand behind our sustainability claims 100%.
We endeavour to be inclusive and representative in our marketing, and to always take into account cultural, religious, and ethnic sensitivities.
Customers are informed about the social and environmental impact of their journey, and are educated about the sustainable choices they can make, including transparent communication on:
- Certified accommodations
- Activities and excursions that benefit the local communities and environmental protection
- Responsible shopping and illegal souvenirs
The company aims for all customer experiences to be positive, and follows strict health and safety, marketing, and excursion policies to ensure customer satisfaction. These policies cover specific topics of (but not limited to):
- Health and safety
- Emergency procedures
- Group numbers
- Children in tourism
- Satisfaction and complaints
Ferula Viaggi Slow Italy maintains open lines of communication with our customers and encourages feedback at any time and on any topic, particularly sustainability.
Contact / Responsible person
All staff are responsible for the ownership and undertaking of this policy.
All staff are responsible for the promotion and implementation of this sustainability policy within their departments.
The implementation of this policy will be lead by the Sustainability Coordinator, Sandra Suriano, who can be reached at email@example.com.
This policy is effective from March 2023.